Cinco de Mayo was a few days ago now, but it definitely inspired me to make tacos to celebrate. There are so many vegan taco options out there, in addition to all the gluten-free taco shells such as the traditional corn tortilla. I’m obsessed with spice and added lots of cayenne, chili spice and hot sauce to my tacos… The amount you add is up to you! If you choose to add cayenne, you should know that there are tons of benefits to this super spice!
Top 5 benefits of Cayenne Pepper
1. Anti-Irritant: Can help upset stomach, headaches, soar throats, ulcers, joint-pain, even tooth aches and the list still goes on…
2. Anti cold & flu: Cayenne spice breaks up the mucus, giving you a little relief.
3. Digestive aid: Stimulates the digestive track and gets the enzymes flowing… This also helps to relieve intestinal gas. Helps stimulate saliva which is necessary for the digestive process. This all elevates your METABOLIC RATE, and helps you LOSE excess fat (yay!).
4. Improves heart health: Helps to keep blood sugar low, which in turn diminishes cholesterol levels. Also encourages fibrinolytic activity and prevents the formation of blood clots, this helps reduce the chances of heart attack or stroke.
5. Anti-bacterial Properties: Cayenne can be an amazing food-presever, and has even been used as a way to prevent food contamination from bacteria.
Now that you can’t wait to use Cayenne…
Ultimate Veg Tacos
- Corn Tortillas
- 2 Roma Tomatoes, diced
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Sweet Onion, diced
- 6 medium sized white mushrooms, diced
- 1 can Eden Organic black beans
- 1 cabbage, sliced into fine stripes (like coleslaw)
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp Cayenne
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- dash of Sea Salt & Pepper
- handful of Cilantro
- tsp Grape Seed Oil
To make avocado sauce, place avocado, 1 tomato, half the onion, half handful of cilantro, lime juice and salt and pepper in a blender. Blend the mixture until creamy.
Saute onions and add beans, mushrooms, cayenne, chili powder, s&p, and a splash of lime juice. Saute until mushrooms are tender.
Mix together 1 tomato, cabbage, and remaining cilantro with remaining lime juice: to make a coleslaw.
Heat up corn tortilla (best done on the grill).
Layer corn tortila, then avo sauce, coleslaw, bean/mush mix and a splash of lime juice & hot sauce.